Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My NEW Favorite Tool

Have you ever heard of a wood burning tool?

Neither had I.

Well, not until about 2 months ago. My friend showed it to me and I fell in love with it and decided I just HAD to have one of my own. And since Michael's is so kind to send out those 40% off coupons every once in awhile I figured my purchase was justified. One trip to the store and $7.53 later, I was the proud owner of this little guy....


The beauty of a wood burning tool (we'll call it WBT for short) is that it combines two steps into one. Rather than cutting with scissors and the melting the ribbon ends with a lighter, you hold the ribbon down, cut with the WBT, and voila - cut and sealed.

Take a look.....

Cutting....


And sealed.....



Another advantage to this little guy is that your thumbs will thank you profusely. No more trying to flick that lighter on constantly. Believe me, after making about 50 princess clippies and all the ends that needed to be sealed, I was about ready to throw that lighter out the window.

If you look closely at my WBT, just past the tip (where it has lovingly been discolored) the entire top portion of it heats up. Which is great for sealing ribbon that has already been cut.


For example....

You've cut your ribbon to the appropriate size....


Take the end and slightly dab it against the side of the WBT until you see it melt.


That $7.53 was worth every penny.

Now don't you want one too?

5 comments:

Deanne said...

Yes! I have one too and totally love. And I don't nearly make as many bows as you. Have fun with it!

Erin said...

I have a 50% off coupon just sitting in my wallet right now! Guess what I'll be using if for? GREAT find!!!

P.S. Hope you had a great time at Disney- are you going back to AZ now???

Amanda said...

It has been forever since I've been on this site. (Thank you, moving.) I am SO getting one of these! After having ends that were either too melted or not melted enough, I was thinking there had to be an easier way. I'm going to the store ASAP!!! (Which means as soon as I can figure out where a craft store is up here...)

Lydja said...

Have you tried fray check? It works wonders on ribbon.

Jami said...

I ran across your site from She Does Hair and saw this post. Totally just got one. I'm very anxious to use it now. Thank you for the tip! :0)